Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Godless Commie Scum

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)

This film, the very name of which is a misnomer, opens with the revelation that Frankenstein's grandchildren are living in a small town in the wild West where they pick off the children of the local Mexican villagers in order to further their grandfather's experiments. Sort of. Actually, they're looking to replace a human's brain with an artificial brain that will allow them complete control over their subject, who will then do their bidding without question. Exactly what their bidding will ultimately be is never explained. But that doesn't matter, as so far their experiments fail because the children are too small and fragile and thus die during the surgery. If only they had someone bigger and stronger to experiment on....

Cut to Jesse James and his huge muscleman partner Hank Tracy. The two famed outlaws join up with the Wild Bunch in order to pull off a massive heist. Unfortuantely for the James boys, a double cross ensues, and James ends up on the lam with an injured Tracy in tow. They end up at the Frankenstein mansion, and guess what happens next.. Go on, I dare you. Guess goddamnit!

This is a rather bizarre genre mish-mash that never fully realizes it's potential. The Western scenes, which comprise a good half of the movie, are pretty entertaining. Cowboys quick-drawin' and stagecoach robbin', makes for good entertainment, even if leading man John Lupton is fairly wooden and his character lacks the edge that makes spaghetti westerns superior to the American counterparts. However, the horror scenes are not scary, and are destroyed by the filmmaker's choice to use rainbow striped batter's helmets with electrodes attached to them for the scientists to conduct their experiments. Tracy's hair is shaved off and he ends up looking like an early predecessor of WWE superstar Kane. The whole thing gets kind of hokey, which is sad, because the premise, a rough and tumble outlaw cowboy fighting off a Karloff-esque Frankenstein Monster in the rain soaked countryside, well damnit, that could have been awesome. While I enjoyed this one for what it is, I can't help but think that this flick could be remade as something more.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Resurrected

I rented this one night. Felt, as a horror fan, I had to see it. I sat through the whole thing, never really bored, but just stunned at how earnest everyone on the screen was working. Some of the performances may have been a bit wooden, but they were really trying to sell this movie.

Don't know why the film took so long getting to the horror elements. I felt the Western aspect of the picture was pretty dull and was itching for the monster to show up. After all, the title tells us that Jesse was going to meet up with a creature, so why keep the audience waiting? The Western aspect didn't add anything to the story or the characters and could have been compressed into half the time.

Also, as this was the mid sixties, the movie could have spiced it up with a bit of gore (Imagine if H.G. Lewis got a hold of this one!). However, I think the film makers were aiming for a more family-friendly movie and thus, kept things pretty clean.

Would have loved to see a repeat of the original Frankenstien with six shooters instead of pitchforks. I agree, Mr. Monster, this could have been a contender.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Deceased

Send a message via AIM to ladydie
Ugh.Tried to watch this twice and havent finished either time.Just bored me.Too much western,not enough horror.
Bigmac is right,should have brought the monster on waaay sooner.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Autopsied

Thought I'd point out that this film is available to watch/download at the Internet Archive here.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydie View Post
Ugh.Tried to watch this twice and havent finished either time.Just bored me.Too much western,not enough horror.
I completely agree. This movie is terrible.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Resurrected

I had high hopes for this one and it ended up being rather bland and didn't quite deliver the cheese factor that I was really hoping for and it's too bad as this one could've been gold.

Spoiler Alert!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Suspiria Snow White

Great cheese flick.

Deep into the darkness where I hide
The monsters are burried down deep inside
You never know when they're satisfied
Buried down deep where the sun don't shine
The monsters are buried down deep inside but
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Darkness Personified

I love the title but have always suspected that the film might not live up to it. I would be amazed if I can find this downunder.

You'll enjoy Mr. Barlow. And he'll enjoy you.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mark View Post
I love the title but have always suspected that the film might not live up to it. I would be amazed if I can find this downunder.
I found mine on a Mill Creek, "Chilling Classics" 50 pack and it's one of the main reasons why I bought it was for this movie.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Invincible

This has long been a staple of New Orleans Worst Films Festival showings. It's often enough to make people cringe just a the sound of its name when it's announced.