Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Episode 062: JAMES NGUYEN

On this episode of the Rue Morgue Podcast, it’s a one hour interrogation with James Nguyen, the director of cult semi-classic Birdemic: Shock & Terror.

This is, hands down, the weirdest bloody interview I’ve done in my long and protracted, pseudo radio career to date.

Endure.

:- FDBK

http://rue-morgue.com/2012/04/rue-mo...-james-nguyen/

Birdemic: Shock & Terror is available on home video courtesy of Severin Films.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Embalmed

Send a message via AIM to Ashley O
I think I'm going to have to subject myself to watching the movie before I listen...
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Entombed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley O View Post
I think I'm going to have to subject myself to watching the movie before I listen...
Oh, but it's a blast. Proceed with a sixer in hand, though.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Post-Apocalyptic Scavenger

Wow FB, that was...epic...

I'm going to really have to think about this a bit more and let that all sink in a bit more before I comment on if it's a hoax or not. As if it is, this man is a brilliant character actor. I'm starting to really lean towards this being a genuine naivety thing, where someone just had a lot of fun making the best darn movie they could, and the passion towards it just comes from a heart-on for Hitchcock and Yoko Ono and crazy-ass birds attacking...

The Collection
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Yeah, there's no real credence to the 'hoax' theory. Other than when you take a close look at BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror, the film does not look legitimately put together. It seems whoever made BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror went out of their way to construct the most ludicrous film possible, from the outrageous special effects, to the insane wooden acting, the unbelievable dialogue, the inexplicable scenes (coat-hangers?), the way it was filmed and the strange drop-outs in ambient sound that actually seem more work than not to achieve.

I dunno...

Either this film was made by a mad genius having a laugh at all of us....or ....well....the exact opposite of that. And as the exact opposite of mad geniuses are far more abundant, you have to go with that theory.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Post-Apocalyptic Scavenger

As someone else commented, you did an admirable job holding back what I can only imagine was an unbearable desire to laugh (inside of your cheeks almost bitten through afterwards?). To be able to "straight-face" that kind of interview, even giving additional observations to have him spin an answer off of was truly a testament to your conscience good sir. The way you phrased questions as legitimately as you could and have the answers go the way they did was half of the fun for me.

I will concur with you on this, either he's really having the best laugh at all the attention this project got - or he's just enjoying things, not even realizing that his movie is what it is. Either way, I'm happy to have had the chance to experience this with a Cinemacabre crowd, as it just isn't the same when you're on your own and it's truly something to behold with others.

The Collection
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Bibliognost of the Holocaust

Oh man, this was frickin' hilarious! Pretty sure I actually heard you snicker a couple times. There are some great quotes from this interview too.

It was even more surreal because I listened to this then went back and listened to your interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky. So weird.

The first rule of Book Club is TELL EVERYONE ABOUT BOOK CLUB!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
Oh man, this was frickin' hilarious! Pretty sure I actually heard you snicker a couple times.
No, I didn't! (At least not on purpose.)

Quote:
It was even more surreal because I listened to this then went back and listened to your interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky. So weird.
Yes, two maniac filmmakers back to back. One is a genius. And one is....well....a 'master' in his own right. I'll let you decide which is which.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Resurrected

I applaud your restraint, as a lesser man would have torn this, uh, filmmaker to shreds.

Thanks to your interview, I'm convince Nguyen is a rare individual, one who believes his films are enjoyed and respected by audiences, despite all the evidence, and he believes he is a master filmmaker. If it is all an act, bravo to him for an Oscar worthy performance.

Great interview and thanks for sharing the misery.

My 31 Days of Halloween 2012
My pathetic 31 Days of Halloween 2011
My 31 Days of Halloween 2010.
My 31 Days of Halloween 2009.

Visit my blog, Shadow over Portland, for news of horror movies and events in the Pacific Northwest and beyond.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Feedback Andrews View Post
No, I didn't! (At least not on purpose.)
bigmac reminded me that I wanted to come in here and retract my previous statement.

Sorry, I didn't hear snickering twice, although I think I heard it once maybe, but I was reading a lot into the "um-hmm"s. You (FEEDBACK) will "um-hm" during an interview to indicate you're still listening, but with Nguyen there was a defeated sounding down-tone on the "-hmm" portion.

... I feel stalkerish pointing that out...

Just a fan, brah

Maybe I should send a recording to educate the audience on the "um-hmm"-ing of the Rue Morgue podcast...

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Grumpy Quatrogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli Hooker View Post

You (FEEDBACK) will "um-hm" during an interview to indicate you're still listening, but with Nguyen there was a defeated sounding down-tone on the "-hmm" portion.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been subjected to it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gore-met View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been subjected to it.
You two - get a room already!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Embalmed

Send a message via AIM to Ashley O
That was amazing. Feedback, I love how INCREDULOUS you should throughout all of it. I hope there is a 3D sequel. I really do. He reminded me of Claudio Fragasso. Poor guy. Or lucky guy, depending on how you look at it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley O View Post
...He reminded me of Claudio Fragasso. Poor guy. Or lucky guy, depending on how you look at it.
Haha, me too!

I kept thinking how wonderful life could be if I was as delusional.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli Hooker View Post
. You (FEEDBACK) will "um-hm" during an interview to indicate you're still listening, but with Nguyen there was a defeated sounding down-tone on the "-hmm" portion..
Yes. You're very perceptive. Those were editorial 'hmms.'
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Deceased

Send a message via Skype™ to afbone
I finally had a chance to see Birdemic. Wow.

It's like Nguyen's some kind of brilliant auteur who pushes awkwardness into the realm of surrealism, or at least he would be if it had been intentional.

From now on I'm always keeping a coat-hanger handy and I'm always introducing myself by starting with "the eagles killed our friends".

I know it's weird for me to point out this one thing, but did anyone else notice Ramsay's girlfriend disappears in the convenience store scene, only to reappear for the picnic?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Deceased

I've been catching up on my podacasts and I listened to this episode of the Rue Morgue podcast today (yes, I'm a bit behind). I hate to admit it but I couldn't get through more than a half hour of James. Yet for some odd reason, I decided to watch the movie tonight anyway.

My god, what the hell am I watching? The (bad) CGI birds and acting have actually made my jaw drop. And yet, I'm still watching. I don't know if it's a sense of masochism of just morbid curiosity as to where this train wreck is headed.

Oh man, Feedback! I've discovered several great movies thanks to you and your segment/shows but this one... damn. ha ha ha!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandererRob View Post
I hate to admit it but I couldn't get through more than a half hour of James.
I think now that you've watched the film - you may find the interview more revealing....!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Feedback Andrews View Post
I think now that you've watched the film - you may find the interview more revealing....!

Um, yeah. Gawd, I may have to go back and listen to the rest now. Save me!

And evidently there is a 3D sequel. :shakes head:
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Entombed

If you think the interview was funny you should check out the this review from Jon Tron:

Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Obsessive-Compulsive Cinéaste

I loved this interview. I thought you were very kind, Feedback, while still pushing as hard as you needed to on certain points. The fact that he stuck with his "I think the audience is reacting positively to my message about environmentalism" story tells us all we need to know.

I've done English-as-a-second-language tutoring and been in plenty of creative writing classes with oddballs who were convinced of their own greatness, and my gut tells me that he's not hoaxing anyone.

If, however, Birdemic turns out to be a hoax, I'll be extremely impressed. It's not easy to consciously make a film this ludicrously bad.

I'm not a huge fan of "so bad it's good" cinema (I still haven't seen The Room), but after listening to the interview with James Nguyen I checked out Birdemic and was blown away. I show a bit of it to everyone who comes over and it blows everyone's mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
The Crypt Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam L. View Post
If, however, Birdemic turns out to be a hoax, I'll be extremely impressed. It's not easy to consciously make a film this ludicrously bad.
Or keep up an act like that for so long.

Quote:
(I still haven't seen The Room),
Well worth checking out (but not with an audience paying to hurl insults at the film.)

Words can't describe it.

It's an excruciating peak into an extremely untalented narcissistic pretending to be an artist (a lot of that going around obviously - especially with the affordability of filmmaking tools these days - but in this instance, the results are fucking hilarious.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: